Waikiki Health is now accepting applications for the Peer Mentor position. Our Youth Outreach program provides quality medical and social services to homeless, runaway, and at risk youth in a safe, non-judgmental environment. If you are passionate about empowering youth to make positive changes to improve their health and quality of life, then this position may be for you.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the promotion of reproductive health education in both individual and group settings.
- Accept and respond to client communications in real time every day of the week.
- Assist with providing comprehensive reproductive health services and counseling intended to prevent pregnancy, with special focus on LARC.
- Document protocols, procedures, and outcomes of program.
- Conduct community, street, and off-site research.
- Establish and maintain pregnancy prevention curriculums.
In order to be considered for this position, a candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- College degree preferred.
- Previous experience, either personal or professional, in teen pregnancy, homelessness, or high-risk youth behaviors is preferred.
- Willingness to provide text and phone support during non-office hours.
- Ability to work with youth in a non-judgmental, safe environment.
- Good interpersonal, relational, communication, and listening skills.
- Ability to learn and use problem solving skills.
- Good assessment and observation skills.
- Good organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to use technology such as email and text messaging to maintain a positive connection to the youth.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work independently and in potentially stressful situations.
- Ability to handle self in a calm manner in stressful situationns.